Thursday, November 12, 2009

My new home....and last weekend!

So it occured to me that some of you (if not most) don't care about the technical details of my class, but maybe just want to know "How's it going in Oklahoma City?" Well, here it goes...

So far, this city has been great to me. The people are friendly, the speed limits are higher, and I haven't sat in any traffic yet. I moved into a brand new house in a neighborhood about 15 minutes from the FAA Academy (read: my commute is ridiculously easy). The landlord owns many of the houses in the neighborhood, and she rents them only to ATC students. This is a great system, so that you're not stuck with random other people, but rather you are with other students who are going through the same experience as me. I have 2 roomates: both of them are ex Air Force controllers (one who just came back from Iraq), and they're both very cool dudes. This will definitely work to my advantage later on, since they already know all the information that I'm studying currently(2 great study resources right in my house). The house comes with a gym membership and free Golf at the local par 3 (which I've already played once). One of the biggest perks of the house is that our grocery shopping is done for us (and included in the cost)...we just have to provide the list! We've done some cooking, although nothing too spectacular yet.
Since I am staying in OKC the longest of the three of us (almost 12 weeks), the landlord gave me the master bedroom, which is huge!
note that my bedroom has the only door to our backyard (weird). I also have a walk-in-closet that is the size of a small country....
I pretty much lucked out big time here. Our landlord, Kim, does her best to create a "home away from home," and its definitely worked so far. There are over 70 students in the neighborhood, and I've probably met 10 so far....yet I already feel at home. Being 1300 miles from Maryland sucks, especially witht he holidays coming up, but I'm in a great place here!

Last weekend:


I had my first weekend in Oklahoma City, and it turned out to be a lot of fun! Friday night I went over to another house in the neighborhood and played in a Texas Hold'em tournament, followed by some drinki--, I mean Milk & cookies. Saturday I played 18 holes with a few guys from my class at a course in Oklahoma City. I got a par on a 537 yard par 5 hole!! I had a few good shots here and there, but for the most part, I just got my butt kicked, and I also got really sunburned!
Saturday night I went out with a group of students to a bowling alley for some late night bowling... Like my golf game, I had some great shots, and some really horrible gutter balls as well.

Sunday was very relaxing and full of football (and a trip to the gym).

Back to school Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment