Sunday, November 15, 2009

Bull Riding!!!

HELLOOO Weekend #2 in Oklahoma!!!

Friday night, a few of us from class decided to go to a popular bar called "Club Rodeo." This bar is HUGE, with a giant line dancing floor in the middle, and a Bull Riding ring in the back. Also, Friday nights are $.25 bottles, so needless to say, it was a good time. I definitely felt out of place here, as almost every guy at the bar had a cowboy hat on. I guess us East Coasters just stick out like a sore thumb there. It was a very cool experience though, getting to see a completely different culture at the bar, not to mention great drink specials. Our table was setup about 15 ft from the bull riding ring, so we had great seats for the riding. They had 3 rounds of riding, on the hour from 10:30-12:30pm. We stayed through the first two rounds, and it was very cool stuff. I certainly wouldn't wanna be one of the guys riding the bulls. A couple of guys almost got trampled!
So Friday night was a resounding success!

Saturday, after sleeping off the late night and beers, a group of us went downtown to see the Oklahoma City Bombing Museum/Memorial. The experience was very interesting and disturbing/moving at the same time. I was in 5th grade at the time of the bombing, so I knew that it had happened, but I don't really remember most of the details, as I didn't pay attention to the news then. The museum is located in the Journal Records building, accross the street from where the Murrah Federal Building once stood (now the site of the memorial). The museum is full of pictures, videos, artifacts, and tons of information about the bombing. I highly reccomend this museum to anybody who travels through Oklahoma City. It really gives a great perspective on how this act of terrorism affected the local community, and how the entire region came together to the rescue after the bombing had occurred. The actual memorial site occupies the footprint of where the Building used to be, and it includes a reflection pool that used to be 5th Street (the street where Timothy McVeigh parked the infamous Ryder truck). Like I said, the entire experience is very moving and upsetting, but its definitely worth the time. http://www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org/

To give an idea, below is a picture of the Federal Building after the bombing, and next to it is a picture of the memorial.




If you look at the right picture, the field of lit chairs sits on the exact footprint of the building, and the reflecting pool sits on the location of the street in front of where the building was at one time.

Sunday has just been another day of studying and watching football....Back to class tomorrow! I'm excited because tomorrow is when it gets really interesting: we begin the aircraft recognition unit (ie. look at a picture, and tell me what type of aircraft it is.).

Have a great evening...

2 comments:

  1. I love the bull riding bar! And the 25 cent bottles! Reminds me of a certain night in NC that we barely remember! I wish I could come out to visit you, just for this bar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bar sounds awesome! If I come out to drive home with you, we should go there. I feel like aircraft recognition will be rediculously easy for you. Good luck with it anyhow! MD still misses you... I think John has a countdown til you come home.

    ReplyDelete